Contact The DeYoung Firm today to discuss your case free of charge.
D. Tobyn DeYoung, Esq.
A CAREER DEVOTED TO PROTECTING FLORIDA PROPERTY OWNERS
D. Tobyn DeYoung is a native Floridian who has over two decades of experience in the field of Eminent Domain and property rights. His love for and roots to Florida property and property rights run deep. His dad was a State Legislator in the 1960’s, before starting his real estate business in Palm Beach County. He counseled Tobyn to go into the real estate business, so Tobyn studied real estate and finance at the Florida State University. After graduating, he began his career in the 1980's as a real estate appraiser specializing in eminent domain valuation. From there, he went on to law school to become an eminent domain attorney.
Today, Tobyn is an “AV” rated eminent domain trial lawyer who has an impressive track record. (The AV rating is awarded to attorneys with the Highest Rating in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards). He started his legal career at Carlton Fields in West Palm Beach, then went on to work for the Office of the Attorney General, Bureau of Eminent Domain, where he represented the Florida Department of Transportation in eminent domain cases. From there, he went back into private practice and teamed up with Marc I. Sachs, Esq., with whom he worked and was a partner for over 12 years. He is now President and Managing Partner of The DeYoung Firm in St. Petersburg.
Tobyn has handled over a thousand eminent domain and inverse condemnation cases involving all types of property, including, Roads, Retention and Detention Ponds, Reservoirs, Power Lines, Gas Lines, Water Lines, Conservation and Wetland Areas, Parks, Airport Projects, Flooding Cases, Easement Takings, Loss of Access cases, and Physical Invasion cases, among many others. He has represented businesses, both large and small, corporate property owners, and small “mom and pop” operations. He has handled takings ranging in size from a few hundred square feet to those involving thousands and thousands of acres and millions of dollars.
D. Tobyn DeYoung Biographical Information
Born: West Palm Beach, Florida.
Florida State University (B.S., 1988); Stetson University College of
Law (J.D., with honors, cum laude, 1993).
- D. Tobyn DeYoung, P.A./The DeYoung Firm (2009-Present);
- Sachs & DeYoung, P.A. (formerly Sachs & Werdine) (1997-2009);
- Office of the Attorney General (1997), Assistant Attorney General, Bureau of Eminent Domain;
- Carlton, Fields, Ward, Emmanuel, Smith & Cutler, P.A. (1994 - 1997), eminent domain, real estate & commercial litigation;
- Calhoun & Associates, Inc., (1988 - 1991), real estate appraisers specializing in eminent domain valuation and trials.
- AV Preeminent Rated- Martindale Hubbell (Highest Rating Possible in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards);
- "The Best Lawyers in America" - 2010 - 2014;
- "Tampa Bay’s Top Lawyers" - Peer Rated, 2008 - 2014.
- Author - Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure Manual, 8th Edition, The Florida Bar (2012); 7th Edition, The Florida Bar (2008) and (2010 Supp.); 6th Edition, The Florida Bar (2003), and (2006 Supp.); 5th Edition, The Florida Bar (2000 Supp.) - "Order of Taking", Chapter 7;
- Contributing Author, Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure Manual, 5th Edition, The Florida Bar (1996) - "Post Trial Procedure", Chapter 12;
- Lecturer - "Using Exhibits to Prove Your Case", Association of Eminent Domain Professionals (October 2000); "Taking of Property by Eminent Domain, "National Business Institute - Land Use Planning and Eminent Domain in Florida Seminar (October 1997)
- Admitted to Bar, Florida and U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar (Member: Eminent Domain Committee 1996-present, City, County and Local Government Law Section 1995-present);
- Palm Beach, Pinellas, and Hillsborough County Bar Associations, (Member: Eminent Domain Committee HCBA, 1997-present).