FLORIDA EMINENT DOMAIN ATTORNEY
D. TOBYN DEYOUNG, ESQ.
A CAREER DEVOTED TO PROTECTING FLORIDA PROPERTY OWERS
D. Tobyn DeYoung is a native Floridian who has over two decades of experience in the field of Eminent Domain and property rights. His love for, and roots to, Florida property and property rights run deep. His dad was a State Legislator in the 1960’s, before starting his real estate business in Palm Beach County. He counseled Tobyn to go into the real estate business, so Tobyn studied real estate and finance at the Florida State University. After graduating, he began his career in the 1980's as a real estate appraiser specializing in eminent domain valuation. From there, he went on to law school to become an eminent domain attorney.
Today, Tobyn is an “AV” rated eminent domain trial lawyer who has an impressive track record. (The AV rating is awarded to attorneys with the Highest Rating in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards). He started his legal career at Carlton Fields in West Palm Beach, then went on to work for the Office of the Attorney General, Bureau of Eminent Domain, where he represented the Florida Department of Transportation in eminent domain cases. From there, he went back into private practice and teamed up with Marc I. Sachs, Esq., with whom he worked and was a partner for over 12 years. He is now President and Managing Partner of The DeYoung Firm in St. Petersburg.
Tobyn has handled over a thousand eminent domain and inverse condemnation cases involving all types of property, including, Roads, Retention and Detention Ponds, Reservoirs, Power Lines, Gas Lines, Water Lines, Conservation and Wetland Areas, Parks, Airport Projects, Flooding Cases, Easement Takings, Loss of Access cases, and Physical Invasion cases, among many others. He has represented businesses, both large and small, corporate property owners, and small “mom and pop” operations. He has handled takings ranging in size from a few hundred square feet to those involving thousands and thousands of acres and millions of dollars.
Born: West Palm Beach, Florida.
Practice Areas: Mr. DeYoung’s practice is solely limited to representing property and business owners throughout Florida in Eminent Domain, Condemnation and Inverse Condemnation cases.
College: Florida State University (B.S.)
Law School: Stetson University College of Law (J.D., with honors, cum laude, 1993)
- The DeYoung Firm (D. Tobyn DeYoung, P.A.) (2008 – Present)
- Sachs & DeYoung, P.A. (formerly Sachs & Werdine) (1997 - 2007)
- Office of the Attorney General (1997), Assistant Attorney General, Bureau of Eminent Domain (Representing the Florida Department of Transportation)
- Carlton, Fields, Ward, Emmanuel, Smith & Cutler, P.A. (1994 - 1997), eminent domain, real estate & commercial litigation
- Calhoun & Associates, Inc., (1988 - 1991), eminent domain real estate appraisers (Mr. DeYoung is a former real estate appraiser, specializing in eminent domain valuation and expert witness trial support)
Professional Honors and Recognitions:
- Chair, Florida Bar Eminent Domain Committee 2018-2019
- Vice Chair, Florida Bar Eminent Domain Committee 2017-2018, 2016-2017, 2015-2016 and 2014-2015 (Member since 1996)
- AV Preeminent Rated – Martindale Hubbell (Highest Rating Possible in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards) 2005-Present
- “The Best Lawyers in America” – 2010 - Present
- “Best Attorneys in Florida” – 2013
- “Tampa Bays Top Lawyers” – Peer Rated, 2008-Present
- Lifetime Member – Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Author - Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure Manual, “Order of Taking”, Chapter 7, Published by the Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Committee; 10th Edition, The Florida Bar (2016); 9th Edition, The Florida Bar (2014); 8th Edition, The Florida Bar (2012) 7th Edition, The Florida Bar (2008) and (2010 Supp.); 6th Edition, The Florida Bar (2003) and (2006 Supp.); 5th Edition, The Florida Bar (2000 Supp.)
- Contributing Author, Florida Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure Manual, 5th Edition, The Florida Bar (1996) -"Post Trial Procedure”, Chapter 12
- "Non-Monetary Benefit Attorneys' Fees", Florida Bar Eminent Domain Committee Conference (January 2018)
- "Recent Topics of Concern in Eminent Domain", 2017 CLE International Eminent Domain Conference (October 2017)
- "Res Judicata and the Sanctity of Jury Verdicts", 2017, Annual Florida Bar Convention, Eminent Domain Committee (June 2017)
- "Recent Trends in FDOT Litigation", HCBA, Eminent Domain Committee (January 2016)
- "Successful Litigation Strategies - Alternatives for Both Settlement and Trial" and "A Professional Engineer's View on Florida Exception to the General Rule of Severance Damages", CLE International Eminent Domain Institute, 19th Annual Conference (October 2015)
- "Supplemental Attorneys' Fees - Atypical Situations", CLE The Florida Bar Annual Convention (June 2015)
- “Cross Examination – Making the Most of it at Both Deposition and Trial”, CLE International Eminent Domain Institute, 18th Annual Conference (October 2014)
- “Using Exhibits to Prove Your Case”, Association of Eminent Domain Professionals (October 2000)
- "Taking of Property by Eminent Domain," National Business Institute - Land Use Planning and Eminent Domain in Florida Seminar (October 1997)
- Lifetime Member – Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Bar Admissions: Florida; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, Middle District of Florida; and United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- The Florida Bar (Member: Eminent Domain Committee 1996- Present; City, County and Local Government Law Section 1995- 2009)
- Palm Beach, Pinellas and Hillsborough County Bar Associations (Member: Eminent Domain Committee HCBA, 1997-Present)
- Association of Eminent Domain Professionals
Tobyn DeYoung can be reached by email at Tobyn@DeYoungFirm.com